If an oral care product says it kills the 'human coronavirus' does this mean it kills the actual COVID-19 virus too?
No. There is a big difference in products that can kill human coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-2 the COVID-19 virus. Human coronaviruses have been around for decades and usually just cause a mild respiratory illness like the common cold. SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has been considered “novel” because it is new and much more infectious & dangerous than the more common human coronaviruses.
Testing on the actual COVID-19 virus is very controlled for obvious reasons and can only be done in accredited labs like those used to test CloSYS Ultra Sensitive rinse
If CloSYS Ultra Sensitive eliminates up to 98.4% then what happens with the other 1.6%?
While the mouth may be greatly sanitized we are not yet fully aware of what happens to the remainder. By reducing viral load in the mouth there is a chance, yet to be proven, that you could reduce the risk of passing on the infection to someone else through infected respiratory droplets.
More studies are planned to know more.
Will using CloSYS prevent me from contracting the virus?
No. CloSYS is not a cure or prevention for COVID-19 disease. All we know at this point is it has proven in the laboratory testing to reduce the virus significantly which may help reduce transmission. More studies are needed to know for sure.
Is CloSYS effective in stopping the spread of oral droplets in the air that could carry COVID-19?
What we know is that in a laboratory study CloSYS Unflavored Rinse reduced the virus up to 98.4% in 30 seconds. While this would suggest the mouth would be more sanitized further studies are needed to prove specifically what happens to oral droplets from the mouth.
What happens if an infected person uses CloSYS thinking they are safe? Can they pass COVID-19 virus to others after using your products?
CloSYS is not a prevention for contracting the virus nor has it been proven to reduce the transmission as further studies are needed. Anyone with the COVID-19 virus should seek medical attention and quarantine following appropriate guidelines. CloSYS should not be used as a replacement to face masks, distancing or washing hands or other CDC guidelines.
How long did the rinse tested work in the lab studies?
The time required for the COVID-19 viral load to increase in the mouth is not fully understood. What we know is that in a laboratory study CloSYS Ultra Sensitive rinse reduced the virus up to 98.4% in 30 seconds. We are in the process of planning additional studies to know more.
How do the other CloSYS products perform against the COVID-19 virus?
The base formula for all our CloSYS products are very similar.
While the first study was conducted just with our Ultra Sensitive rinse, we have since conducted similar studies on the CloSYS Sensitive Rinse and CloSYS Oral Spray both producing similar results (+98.4% reduction in 30 seconds). The CloSYS Oral Spray actually produced slightly better results with 99.9% in 30 seconds.
Is CloSYS safe to use multiple times during the day?
CloSYS is safe to use multiple times per day because it’s gentle and can be used for 30 seconds without the burn or irritation that comes from alcohol, iodine, or peroxide based products. CloSYS products are pH balanced and as gentle as water to use which we know improves patient compliance with the dental professional guidelines for a healthy mouth.
Will CloSYS help to reduce harmful aerosols?
CloSYS patented formula with chlorine dioxide is a great pre-procedural rinse for helping to lower aerosol contaminants. See the study link for Wirthlin & Marshall which speaks specifically about CloSYS rinse- View Study.